Wizz

Combat System

9 posts in this topic

What kind of combat system would you like to see in game?

There is the old school WoW-like system where a target is required and once a spell is activated, it travels towards the target no matter what. There is also the modern style of combat where most of the spells are aoe, or directional. When talking about the modern one, we have to look at these facts:

Pros: Allows for a more dynamic combat, especially in pvp. It's more skill based compared to the old one.

Cons: Lag. Since the targets aren't pre-determined, there will be times when people get out of range or accidentally get shot by a spell because of lag. From personal experience, this is a major issue and in order to keep these problems to a minimum, we would require a very expensive server to run this kind of system without problems, not to mention that players would also need fast connection.

That being said, the prime idea would be to create a mixture of both. Having targeted combat as the default way to fight, but also having a lot of aoe and other effects. A good example for this would be the fireball jutsu. Once the jutsu hits the target, it can also deal aoe damage around the target in a specific range, depending on the size and power of the jutsu. Another example would be rasengan. When the target is hit, it will get knocked back a certain distance while also damaging everyone in it's path. This way we can minimize the lag casualties and incorporate the modern combat elements while also making sure that the combat is stable enough. This will also allow us to fully develop the dodging mechanics.

What are your thoughts? 

I'd prefer it to be more of a skill base rather than tab targeting.. like you have to aim on your own.. and sure, some skills must have some sort of aim assist or homing abilities.

1 person likes this

A mix seems great. I would say that the system from the storm games is also good (combat based with auto-targeting) but that cant exactly be used for a large game where you may be forced to fight multiple people at once.

I would prefer tabbing targeting what do we do with people who have physical problems such as shaking Or sight problems ??
Edited by kingdark

I had talked about this on the discord. I was saying i think the combat should be skill based where our hand to hand combat is like right click and left click for light and heavy and we can dodge and stuff. Then for jutsu idk if you have ever played Naruto Naiteki Kensei but the way they had jutsus cast was holding down a key to begin forming hand seals then you had to press wsad in certain patterns to do specific jutsu. I feel like that style is purely skill based AND very much like the tv series combat. I also think targeting should only be for close range hand to hand combat and that we should have a crosshair at all times to aim our ranged jutsu. Ill write it in more detail later I just woke up ahah.

Edited by ShiinRyuu

54 minutes ago, ShiinRyuu said:

I had talked about this on the discord. I was saying i think the combat should be skill based where our hand to hand combat is like right click and left click for light and heavy and we can dodge and stuff. Then for jutsu idk if you have ever played Naruto Naiteki Kensei but the way they had jutsus cast was holding down a key to begin forming hand seals then you had to press wsad in certain patterns to do specific jutsu. I feel like that style is purely skill based AND very much like the tv series combat. I also think targeting should only be for close range hand to hand combat and that we should have a crosshair at all times to aim our ranged jutsu. Ill write it in more detail later I just woke up ahah.

The problem with this is that you would need two hands on the keyboard at all times, assuming that you 100% won't be casting them on wasd.

With the wasd jutsu system it could be quite easily exploited with hotkeys, have one button that corresponds to X amount of wasd buttons to cast a jutsu.

I would prefer the skill based style of combat over the tab target style, it would allow for a lot more creativity with playing and really set the game apart. 

The type of battle system should be Jutsu specific. After all Jutsu means technique. And ninjitsu techniques should feel different from taijutsu techniques.

To that end I suggest a Targeting area that’s size is based on your movement speed Stat.

by entering a taijutsu Stance- you can auto target and  tab through multiple targets using the left and right mouse buttons and directional buttons. Simpler to a tekken command.

then for ninjutsu a alpha numerical code that represents hand signs can execute learned ninjitsu and Genjutsu. 

This is makes for  a good balance because you have to commit to one attack style or the other. Ninjitsu can be fired off dynamically using the soft target system of your targeting area, or from outside it. While taijutsu and Kenjutsu must enter specific stances and hard lock on a target.

However depending on the taijutsu stance this could effect the distance of your targeting area- some stances could increase movement speed and therefor increased the target area.