Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wizz

Random traits?

13 posts in this topic

Should players be given a random trait once they create their character?

For example, once you create your character you are granted a primary chakra nature. This is something that we have discussed among ourselves and have different opinions on the matter, hence why we are asking the community. 

Pros: This will add a touch of reality because neither in the real world do you choose how you start out or the talents you are born with. It also means that characters will be diverse as we don't want all players to pursue same paths.

Cons: At the end of the day, if players want to get a specific primary nature, they would just remake the character until they get what they want. This is not impossible to prevent however it's a bit repelling and we are wondering if the diversity is worth the struggle.

With that said, there are other ways to deal with this. For example, we could implement a system that grants new characters a +5 in three stat fields, but also -5 in other three. This way, all new characters are born equal. The only difference is that some excel in certain fields and some at others. Personally, i like this idea more as everyone will be able to get what they want over time but still they have an edge over others in the beginning.

Well, what does that mean your skills gets chosen by your chakra nature?

Also, that means if I wanna play more of a healing class I would have to reroll water for example, or if I want more DPS I would have to reroll Fire?

And does that mean that you can only have 1 chakra nature? and if not, would you randomly choose the 2nd one?

13 minutes ago, Wizz said:

That will be nice but to prevent people from just spamming character there should be system that prevents you make new character for like 7 days or sometime so that they just start with whatever they gets and yeah some people will get some good stuff at start but eventually they will be equal to others as other will catch up to them cos of bad stuff they gets ! It just needed to be balanced so that no one gets more then others and it should be decided by system which chakra nature you gets at start and how many you gets

Edited by Akaski

3 minutes ago, unart said:

Well, what does that mean your skills gets chosen by your chakra nature?

Yes, you can learn skills based on the chakra nature you get. For instance you can only learn fire ball if you have fire nature.

4 minutes ago, unart said:

Also, that means if I wanna play more of a healing class I would have to reroll water for example, or if I want more DPS I would have to reroll Fire?

No, the healing class doesn't have anything to do with water nature path, nor does your nature path decide your dps.

5 minutes ago, unart said:

And does that mean that you can only have 1 chakra nature? and if not, would you randomly choose the 2nd one?

No, you are not limited to one. The 2nd one isn't a primary one as anyone is able to learn a secondary chakra nature, hence they wouldn't be randomly chosen.

3 minutes ago, Akaski said:

That will be nice but to prevent people from just spamming character there should be system that prevents you make new character for like 7 days or sometime so that they just start with whatever they gets and yeah some people will get some good stuff at start but eventually they will be equal to others as other will catch up to them cos of bad stuff they gets ! It just needed to be balanced so that no one gets more then others

A 7 day jail is a stretch, it's something that we are trying to avoid. 

The stat + and - would be balanced. Picture it like this, some characters would be better at executing ninjutsu while others would be better at taijutsu.

I would say try letting us pick our nature in alpha and see how diverse it gets. If everyone starts picking lightning because it does this or fire because it does that, then work towards implementing a random nature from the start. 

Should players be given a random trait once they create their character?: 

No, I don't think so.

I get that randomizing things helps with diversity and realism, but at the end we have to remember that this is a video game. Players should be given the freedom to chose these things, because in the end, the entire reason we are playing the game is because we want to escape reality, not feel more of it. Also, if all paths and talents are balanced, I can assure you there will be a natural diversity of paths as every player has different tastes/preferences regarding their playstyle. 

As for the +/- 5 in 3 different fields, I would be fine if the players themselves were to choose what fields that got stats added or subtracted, but it's unnecessary to randomize it. Again, players like to choose these things. That's why I think we should just go the normal route and make every player start out with all stats at 0.

Just my two cents. 

I'm all in for the random traits, we can make it an applicable thingy so it wont bother the ones who want to create a character from scratch.

I think that you should be able to pick traits and talents by yourself 

Something like you start with 2 talent points and when there should be around 10-20 different talents you can choose and some of them cost 1 talent point and some better talents 2 talent points , but then if you want to pick more talents you can also pick some trait that will make your character suck at something 

Example:

-2 talent points - 15% more chakra regen

+1 talent point - -10% strenght 

and then you go on to pick third trait/talent

Edited by Stankić

I'd be more interested in more of naruto style skills rather than elemental based..

being able to use bugs like Shino, or using shadows like Shikamaru.. etc..

altho its probably copyright issues

10 hours ago, unart said:

I'd be more interested in more of naruto style skills rather than elemental based..

being able to use bugs like Shino, or using shadows like Shikamaru.. etc..

altho its probably copyright issues

That's what bloodlines are for. However here we are discussing random traits such as stats which serve as a way to improve your skills, among other things.

Also it's not a copyright issue, as this is a fan made game, not a commercial product. 

I would prefer the random trait system, people will always try to min max in a game like this and, so long as the traits are all viable, having a random trait will make people play in a variety of ways.

That being said the remake issue is something that would need to be solved.

Maybe you would unlock certain traits about your character at different stages, upon creation everything is +-0 as you develop that goes to +-1 then you have to take a chakra nature test at a certain level/age that determines nature etc.

That way people need to invest into the character a little to find their traits and might be less inclined to reset.

So I have 2 things to discuss on this point. 

1) Randomizing the stats is only needed if you start as a child born in a selected Village. Basically for story reasons. If you start as an adult then it makes sense to fill in your backstory with skills and stats you have experience in your life until the moment you start the game. If you start as a ninja and not as a child, this could include your primary Nature.

2) as long as chakra fallows the Naruto chakra Lore( - Kagia I Hope) then  chakra Nature is simply a skill based on your Focus or Intelligence Stat. And the primary nature is simply the first in the list that you can learn. This list being Random Should be a thing, again only if you start as a child with out Ninja training. If you start As an adult with a Nature there is no reason to Make it random.

But this is a story and Training question. And the path should fit the storyline.

The only thing that should be Random regardless of storyline is KKG.

in my opinion KKG should be extended in a sense to Everyone for balance reasons.

to do this there should be 2 types physical KKG which increases 3 stat Caps including Stamina and 2 random others.

and chakra nature KGG- with increased cap to Intelligence/Focus- with 2 additional skills:

ambidextrous

Double Nature